Electrical Engineer/PLC Specialist – Catalyst Powell River
The Powell River mill has an immediate opening for an Electrical Engineer/PLC Specialist. Reporting to the Manager, Electrical/Instrumentation, this role exists to add value through the application of Engineering to mill safety, environment, maintenance and reliability activities, improvement projects, and risk mitigation. This role will also be the facility’s technical subject matter expert for process control systems. The desired candidate must be passionate about developing talent, demonstrate economic thinking and problem-solving skills, willing to take on leadership roles, and have solid project management skills.
- Excellence in safety and environmental performance on all assignments and projects.
- Maintenance and reliability engineering support for the site high voltage and mill power distribution systems including regulatory compliance program, equipment rebuilds, troubleshooting, and design improvements.
- Preparation of maintenance and reliability investment plans and spending forecasts.
- Maintenance and Improvement project development and preparation of formal funding requests.
- Management of approved projects and delivery on project scope, quality, schedule, and cost.
- Optimization of asset preventative maintenance and reliability programs using Avantis and EXP software business systems.
- Optimization of mill electrical energy use with proactive activities controlling power factor and demand.
- Risk assessments and development of risk mitigation plans.
- Mill Electrical Operating Permit.
- Display knowledge of and the ability to leverage experience in Pulp and Paper manufacturing processes to optimize performance. Manufacturing processes include power and utilities, TMP pulping, paper machines, paper gauging systems, wastewater treatment, and environmental controls.
- Provide leadership of the application of process control techniques and infrastructure refresh programs.
- Fill support role with the development and execution of projects with process control requirements.
- Develop process control modifications that lead to improved safety, reduced costs, and improved efficiency.
- Support process operations, through both the application of the process control systems and general troubleshooting of systems.
- Must be able to work closely with mill personnel to identify opportunities and solve problems.
- Share department call responsibility.
- Must have a degree in Electrical Engineering and eligibility for registration with Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia.
- A minimum of 7 years of maintenance, reliability and hands on programming and hardware management in industrial process control platforms and networks experience preferred.
- Engineering and application experience with process control systems; Modicon PLCs, Allen Bradley PLCs, GE PLC’s, HMI/SCADA systems.
- Engineering and application experience with AC and DC drive controls.
- Experience in supporting process control systems in a pulp and paper mill.
- Experience with network technology is a plus.
- Experience with Model adaptive predictive controls.
- Experience in a Technical Leadership role.
Paper Excellence encourages all qualified candidates to apply; however, Canadian citizens and Canadian permanent residents will be given priority.