Located on the western side of spectacular coastal British Columbia, Howe Sound Pulp and Paper is one of the oldest operating mills in the province. Commissioned in 1909, Howe Sound Pulp and Paper plays a key role in the history of the Sunshine Coast. Generations of families who were first attracted to the area by mill jobs, stayed and have made the Coast their home.
Howe Sound is one of 8 facilities owned by Paper Excellence, a diversified manufacturer of pulp and paper that produces over 3 million tonnes of printing, writing, packaging, and specialty papers annually with a workforce of more than 3,000 strong.
Howe Sound Pulp and Paper has an opening for the General Manager to provide leadership and direction to the mills teams and organizations. This role will work collaboratively within all levels of the organization to drive continuous improvement and achieve financial successful performance.
- Develop world class sustainable processes and systems to address process and cost gaps versus industry best practice for each unit operation, maintenance, product performance, and employee effectiveness to achieve 1st quartile performance.
- Develop the sustainable processes and systems to create a standard leadership culture, progress toward an injury free environment, build collaborative labor relations, and create a learning culture that supports the ongoing training, development and effectiveness of employees.
- Build the product development, productivity, and cost reduction processes to provide a platform for sustained continuous improvement achieving financial performance.
- Develop and implement communication strategies to promote effective business, issues, and performance information sharing and feedback throughout the mill and with the company.
- Build a collaborative organization with everyone involved in continuous improvement of at least one, or all, of the eight key mill measures; safety, internal quality, external quality, productivity, cost, environment, employee development, and profit.
- Manage the employee processes to recognize and develop individual and team potential, and mentor the Company’s future leaders
- Collaborate with the sales and marketing on product mix optimization and new product development to continuously improve operating margins and customer satisfaction. Measured through year over year mix improvement.
- Maintain a mill strategy that defines the direction for both the continuous improvement of the people systems, products, processes, and profit as well as the recommended capital needs and projects to make step changes for the business.
- Maintain working relationships with the government regulatory bodies that have jurisdiction in the operation.
- Work with corporate leadership and support departments on broader initiatives and opportunities that impact the business.
- Provide support to the corporate function and other mills by sharing best practices and learning's.
- Provide input and recommendations to support the development of medium- and long-term strategies, capital plans and yearly operating plan.
- Participate in labor contract negotiations.
- A Bachelor Degree in Engineering, Business Administration or equivalent
- Minimum 7 years of Mill or Staff level leadership experience in a pulp and paper production environment.
- Demonstrated technical and progression within operations to include a readiness for overall leadership of an integrated mill.
- Demonstrated prior success in leading continuous and sustainable improvement at senior management level of the organization, successful track record leading significant change project is required.
- Willingness to assume a safety leadership role in a union manufacturing environment.
- Extensive knowledge of Paper and Pulp manufacturing and markets
- Ability to build and implement strategies to achieve company business objectives
- Experience on oversight of large scale capital and maintenance projects
- Ability to influence and effect change throughout the organization.