Human Resources Manager
As a strategic business partner to the Operations Leadership Team, the Human Resources Manager is both the employee advocate and champion for change. As a strategic business partner, you will ensure HR business objectives are established to support the attainment of the overall strategic business plan and objectives. You will be both tactical and deeply knowledgeable about the design of work systems in which people succeed and contribute. As an employee sponsor or advocate you will play an integral role in the organizational success via your knowledge about and advocacy of people. Additionally, as a change champion you will possess the foresight to link change to the strategic needs of the organization to minimize employee dissatisfaction and resistance to change. Your consistent contributions as the HR Manager is important to the business success. People are our most important asset and you’ll be the one to ensure we have a happy and productive workplace where everyone works to realize our established mission and objectives. Promoting corporate values and shaping a positive culture is a vital aspect of this role.
- As a key member of the Operations Leadership Team, you will actively participate in guiding the overall business of the mill.
- Provide support to the development, implementation and sustainment of strategic and operational plans for the mill.
Employee and Labour Relations
- Assumes the collaborative lead for local contract negotiations, as both spokesperson and strategist ensuring all parties interests are listened to and understood.
- Coach, train and support the management team to ensure it is understood how to uphold both the company and union’s contractual obligations as per the collective agreement.
- Encourages both a collaborative and timely approach to the investigation and management of employee concerns and/or grievances.
- Directs and facilitates the mediation and/or arbitration proceedings to resolve appropriate issues.
- Serves as chairman and member of various union/management, employee and apprenticeships committees.
- Ensure alignment with the Company’s recruitment strategy and processes to ensure effective recruitment, selection and orientation programs are functioning at the mill level.
- Manage and lead the recruitment process and the overall utilization of corporate HR Recruiters.
- Responsible for the development of the recruitment process and the implementation of recruitment innovations at the mill level.
- Champion both corporate and mill specific training and development strategies and practices, focusing on talent assessment, development and succession planning.
- Designs and facilitates training and development programs, tools and processes across the mill.
- Seeks out and fosters partnerships with local, provincial and federal educational and technical organizations to support and facilitate the ongoing training and development of employees.
- In alignment with the Corporate annual succession and development program lead and support management teams through full cycle annual development planning and performance reviews, ensuring timely and consistent application across teams.
- Remain vigilant that employee development and performance files are kept up to date, and systems, resources and processes are achieving goals.
- Provide an effective and consistent process to assist managers in dealing with employee performance and attendance issue.
Compensation and Benefits
- Manage and facilitate the corporate rewards and compensation program
- Undergraduate university degree in a relevant discipline; a CHRP would be considered an asset.
- A proven track record of success as a progressive Human Resources professional, in leadership roles that has involved responsibility for strategic human resources in a complex industrial environment
- Extensive knowledge in varied facets of human resources, including employee relations, compensation and benefits; job evaluation; employee development; occupational health, safety and wellness; corporate policy development and collective agreement administration. Stays current on trends and best practices.
- Strong business acumen; demonstrated ability to provide highly effective support to the business by linking HR strategies to the organization’s need.
- Possess and demonstrate high level of emotional intelligence.
- Adaptable and understands a complex and constantly changing business environment.
- Successfully navigate and manage competing and priorities inherent to a company undergoing significant growth and change.
- Solid problem solving and decision making capabilities with the skill to draw appropriate conclusions and presentations.
- A strategic thinker with the ability to manage complexity; able to balance the big picture with the details.
- A dynamic leader, capable of engaging, recruiting, developing and retaining high calibre people.
- Ability to organize and plan, delegate authority, lead and motivate people, and maintain effective control.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Able to communicate effectively with a wide range of audiences and present financial information in an audience-appropriate manner.
- Possesses situational awareness of surroundings with the ability to adapt to new and changing environments, who can relate well at all levels.
- A high sense of urgency with regards to moving projects forward and making operational improvements; action and goal oriented.
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.