Area Maintenance Engineer
Located on the western side of spectacular coastal British Columbia, Howe Sound Pulp and Paper is one of the oldest operating mills in the province. Commissioned in 1909, Howe Sound Pulp and Paper plays a key role in the history of the Sunshine Coast. Generations of families who were first attracted to the area by mill jobs, stayed and have made the Coast their home.
Howe Sound is one of 8 facilities owned by Paper Excellence, a diversified manufacturer of pulp and paper that produces over 3 million tonnes of printing, writing, packaging, and specialty papers annually with a workforce of more than 3,000 strong.
Reporting to the Manager, Maintenance & Engineering, the Area Engineer is accountable for the successful completion of assigned projects within budgeted time and cost controls. You will be an experienced civil or mechanical engineer with a proven track record of leading various capital projects.
- Preparation and execution of annual shutdown work in his area
- The successful completion of assigned projects within budgeted time and cost controls; the Area Engineer must have a goal for ensuring timelines for project plans are met.
- You will be an experienced civil or mechanical engineer with a proven track record of leading various capital projects.
- Owner’s representative outsourcing mechanical repairs during scheduled outages.
- Manage scope, budget & schedule for shutdown contract and mill maintenance work.
- Coordination of site safety requirements for mechanical contractors.
- Analyze project costs, estimation, scheduling and construction resources.
- Coordination and checking of engineering deliverables.
- Responsible for technical and management of projects.
- Monthly project status reports and change orders.
- Performs standard engineering assignments to support projects including new installations and modifications to existing facilities.
- Supports operational activities such as equipment assessment, materials validation, trouble shooting, and preparing operational procedures and guidelines.
- Provides technical guidance, maintains standards and may act as a subject matter expert.
- Participates in the preparation of feasibility assessments, economic risk studies and soundness of proposed engineering evaluation tests, products or equipment.
- Participates as a team member in specific phases of engineering assignment and activities; ensures best practice methodology and related tools are utilized.
- Minimum 5 years as a Project Engineer on projects over 5 million and up to 100 million
- Must have Professional Engineering (P.Eng.) Designation in civil/mechanical discipline
- PMP designation is considered an asset
- Registered or eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer with APEGBC
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Excellent communication skills – both written and oral