Located on the western side of spectacular coastal British Columbia, Howe Sound Pulp and Paper is one of the oldest operating mills in the province. Commissioned in 1909, Howe Sound Pulp and Paper plays a key role in the history of the Sunshine Coast. Generations of families who were first attracted to the area by mill jobs, stayed and have made the Coast their home.
Howe Sound is one of 8 facilities owned by Paper Excellence, a diversified manufacturer of pulp and paper that produces over 3 million tonnes of printing, writing, packaging, and specialty papers annually with a workforce of more than 3,000 strong.
Key accountabilities include:
- Technical projects involving process and quality improvements and technological change.
- Resolution of production, quality, and environmental problems by identifying causes and recommending remedial action.
- Leadership to Process Chemists, Technicians and Technologists as required and mentorship to junior staff to ensure the mill’s objectives are met.
- Coordinate and liaise with maintenance department for planning and repair.
- B.A. Sc. In Chemical Engineering
- 5+ years of industry experience, that would include some combination of strategic planning, resource allocation, manpower modeling, leadership techniques, and production methods.
- Supervisory experience working in a unionized environment preferred
- Solid interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively coach, teach, and manage people.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (both written and verbal).
- Excellent troubleshooting skills (technical and other).
- Ability to plan, organize, execute and works to specific goals and objectives
- Ability to change and adapt to new situations