Located on the western side of spectacular coastal British Columbia, Howe Sound Pulp and Paper is one of the oldest operating mills in the province. Commissioned in 1909, Howe Sound Pulp and Paper plays a key role in the history of the Sunshine Coast. Generations of families who were first attracted to the area by mill jobs, stayed and have made the Coast their home.
Howe Sound is one of 8 facilities owned by Paper Excellence, a diversified manufacturer of pulp and paper that produces over 3 million tonnes of printing, writing, packaging, and specialty papers annually with a workforce of more than 3,000 strong.
Under the direction of the General Manager, as a member of the Senior Management Team, the Engineering Manager will oversee the engineering services within the mill. This includes capital program preparation and execution, problem solving activities
SPECIFIC ACCOUNTABILITIES & KEY ACTIVITIES:
- Responsible for design and implementation of mill improvement projects from point of view of safety, quality, and environment.
- Ensures the effective communication by all engineering personnel with production, maintenance and technical persons affected by the engineering activities.
- Directly supervises the engineers and other engineering staff assigned to the pertaining mill areas.
- Prepares the annual and long-term budgets of proposed expenditures for the mill areas assigned.
- Is responsible for training and development of the Engineering staff.
- Is responsible for updating mill civil, structural, mechanical, and electrical and instrumentation design standards.
- Will carry out engineering studies as requested by mill managers and assigned in order to improve the condition of the manufacturing process and/or of the product.
- University degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Civil/Structural Engineering with a minimum of ten (10) years related experience.
- Requires working knowledge of production, maintenance methods and project management skills