Director of Innovation
Reporting to the VP of Mill Optimization and Engineering, with a dotted line to the Global GR team, the Manager of Innovation will work with company leadership to develop and manage innovation, implementation, and funding. This role will be responsible for stimulating an environment for innovation/research and development.
Areas of Responsibility
Research and Development:
- Lead new thinking and nurture new ideas from concept, through pilot and into mainstream activity
- Using the opportunity registrar provided by FP Innovations, manage the process to identify, screen, and reach decisions on opportunities
- Lead assessment of technology candidates to identify the opportunity, develop a proposal for impact to Paper Excellence, and reach a recommendation for a path forward
- Strategic collaboration with regional VPs and mill management to identify potential platform technologies and develop the business case.
- Strategic collaboration with target academic institutions on projects that promise a benefit for PE
- Support technology development for long term sustainable advantage in our selected markets
- Recognize promising ideas and find ways to introduce them into the company’s future plans and discards ideas that are ineffective, costly, or beyond the scope of the company’s mission or abilities to develop
- Ensure best operational practices are in place by replicating established and best available technology and automation
- Deliver Climate Change solutions to mill operations for the advancement of technology and accessibility of funding opportunities
- Responsible for benchmarking Paper Excellence’s technical progress against industry competitors
- Maintain a strategic risk register to inform our capital and 5-year plan process
- Monitor industry, policy and customer trends and develop a technical risk register to inform the sales and operating teams in their plan development
- Identify and champion funding opportunities at the local, provincial, and federal levels and work with leadership to write grant proposals.
- Identify existing activities that may be eligible for funding support or tax benefits
- Help develop and maintain key government relationships at all pertinent levels, specific to funding.
- Represent PE in GR activities and at government forums related to innovation.
- Undertake specific GR projects as required by the leadership team.
- Provide regular updates on activities and learnings across organizational leadership at a schedule agreed upon with direct reports.
- Coordinates all program reporting requirements if successful
- Liaise closely with the Environmental Manager to ensure process compliance with certification and support the relationship with the Ministry of Environment.
- 8+ years of experience in pulp and paper, engineering, research and development or relevant post doctoral work
- Pertinent university degree and proficiency in English required. Able to speak French preferred but not required
- Experience in communications with government and regulatory bodies
- Experience in conducting research and performing analysis and report/proposal writing
- Self-starter with a high level of resilience
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability in leading project teams
- Highly organized, results oriented and organizational savvy
- Experience working with senior leaders in a dynamic environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and publishing software