Located on the western side of spectacular coastal British Columbia, Howe Sound Pulp and Paper is one of the oldest operating mills in the province. Commissioned in 1909, Howe Sound Pulp and Paper plays a key role in the history of the Sunshine Coast. Generations of families who were first attracted to the area by mill jobs, stayed and have made the Coast their home.
Howe Sound is one of 8 facilities owned by Paper Excellence, a diversified manufacturer of pulp and paper that produces over 3 million tonnes of printing, writing, packaging, and specialty papers annually with a workforce of more than 3,000 strong.
The Mechanical Maintenance Planner is responsible for the effective execution of all mechanical maintenance work control processes. The Mechanical Planner is responsible to the Superintendent Mechanical Maintenance for the efficient and effective use of planning and scheduling all resources to conduct mechanical maintenance activities, which, result in minimum downtime and maximum productivity. In order to fulfill these responsibilities in the most effective manner, you will need to manage work priority, develop job plans, define parts and material, define crafts and skills and engage the proper resources to develop a safe, effective work plan. In addition, the Mechanical Maintenance Planner provides the equipment-related expertise and technical guidance on improving Preventive Maintenance activities.
- With input from Maintenance Supervisor, defines the Daily and Weekly Maintenance Schedule
- With Maintenance Supervisor, defines list of "Opportunity" work.
- Responsible for coordination of production equipment availability. (Ensures equipment is locked out, cleaned up and ready for maintenance)
- Communicates Weekly and Daily Schedules to the OMC and Area Superintendents.
- Meets with the Operations Superintendents and OMC to identify work to help identify the appropriate goals and objectives for shut downs.
- Prepare and review the preliminary shut schedule with the OMC and area Superintendents as needed. Helps establish priorities, critical jobs and appropriate timeframes.
- Prepares Purchase Requests and gathers all appropriate quotes and paperwork to support the PR.
- With Input from area tradespeople, updates the Bill of Materials as needed
- Together with the Mechanical Supervisor, ensure that all trades people in their department will have the appropriate safety training, and schedule training with the safety trainer.
- Plans each job with estimated hours of work to complete and parts to complete the job.
- Other Duties as required
- Mechanical Engineer, Certified Mechanical Red Seal Trade with 2 or more years experience, mechanical tech diploma with 2 years industrial experience, or 10 years Purchasing experience with Mechanical Aptitude
- Adequate kraft knowledge and skill to estimate labour hours, material requirement, quality assurance guidelines and skills needed to complete a job.
- Demonstrated ability to visualize and communicate the execution of work.
- Should have good written and verbal communications skills and have demonstrated the ability to be approachable and tactful.
- Demonstrated ability to read standard blueprints, machine & process drawings, and have the ability to sketch or redline existing drawings.
- Understands the Mechanical maintenance processes and proper use of the work order system, planning and scheduling
- CMMS experience (SAP preferred)
- Strong computer skills are required