Chip Line Superintendent
Located on the western side of spectacular coastal British Columbia, Howe Sound Pulp and Paper is one of the oldest operating mills in the province. Commissioned in 1909, Howe Sound Pulp and Paper plays a key role in the history of the Sunshine Coast. Generations of families who were first attracted to the area by mill jobs, stayed and have made the Coast their home.
Howe Sound is one of 8 facilities owned by Paper Excellence, a diversified manufacturer of pulp and paper that produces over 3 million tonnes of printing, writing, packaging, and specialty papers annually with a workforce of more than 3,000 strong.
Under the direction of the Fibre Line Manager you are responsible for the safe operation of the Chip Line area to achieve budgeted production requirements.
The Area Superintendent works closely with Corporate Fibre Supply to ensure the proper amount of fibre is available for the mill and adjusts requirements accordingly
The Area Superintendent works with Maintenance and Operation teams to ensure achievement of department objectives, through continuous improvements to safety, operating procedures, cost reduction and productivity.
The Area Superintendent is responsible for working with the Shift Supervisors in troubleshooting areas of concern; control the variable and fixed costs; scheduling maintenance shutdowns assist the Shift Supervisors in their day-to-day activities.
- Monitoring barge delivery of hog and chips through daily counts.
- Insuring first in first out as much as possible to keep demurrage to a minimum.
- Monitors and maintain pile build to maximize available space for offloading.
- Gives direction on maintaining mechanical and housekeeping of all conveyor belts from the off links through to the chip silos including chip screening systems.
- Works closely with garage supervisor to ensure reliability and availability of offload equipment.
- Maintains and updates all policy and procedures as well as lock outs and CSE’s related to the fibre area.
- Coordinates specialized training with training coordinator
- 5+ Year of industry experience
- 5+ years in a leadership or Supervisory role
- Ability to manage multiple priorities or projects simultaneously and keep them progressing to completion.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to visualize and communicate the execution of work