Machinist - Catalyst Port Alberni
The Machinist is an integral member of the Maintenance department and is responsible for performing assigned tasks safely and efficiently by regularly using various manual machines & hand tools. Work requires practical skill and knowledge and journey-level experience. Hourly rate: $40.75.
As part of the maintenance team, you will:
- Live up to the highest level of safety and environmental compliance. This means demonstrating the courage to care — which includes being fully accountable for one’s actions, watching out for fellow employees, and confronting unsafe actions or conditions that could lead to personal harm
- Enjoy the environment and camaraderie of working in a team of journey trades people
- Establish and implement preventative & operational maintenance activities
- Read and interpret blueprints and perform precise machining operations based on project specifications
- Make parts, using manual large and small lathes, manual milling machines and drill presses, to exacting standards and tight tolerances by verifying dimensions using precision measuring instruments; calibrate these measuring instruments to ensure accuracy; and inspect and test completed products to ensure that they meet quality standards
- Possess a good mechanical aptitude to support manufacturing operations to locate and diagnose defects in paper/pulp production equipment
- Perform incidental tasks as required to complete the larger task
- Work with other trades in a flexible team environment to achieve greater efficiency and productivity.
- Support our drive for enhanced performance and improved quality and efficiency
- Hold an inter-provincial Red Seal in the occupation of Machinist
- Demonstrated ability in troubleshooting
- 5 years of pulp or paper mill experience or in a job machine shop using manual machining equipment
- Superior interpersonal, problem solving and coaching skills
- Ability to work flexibly
- Be a self-starter
- Capable of working in a team environment
- The successful candidate may be required to work shifts
Short-listed candidates will be asked to provide proof of credentials.
Relocation assistance is provided for successful applicants moving to our communities.