Director of Registration & Licensee Services
- Manage a great team where you can enjoy work-life balance and a fulfilling career
- Receive $150K+ annual salary plus full benefits
- Join one of BC’s top employers of 2022 and 2023
About The Law Society of British Columbia
The Law Society regulates the legal profession in BC, protecting the public interest in the administration of justice, by setting and enforcing standards of professional conduct for lawyers. We also bring a voice to issues affecting the justice system and the delivery of legal services.
To read more about us, our mission, various initiatives, and resources, please visit our website.
About the Opportunity
The Law Society is seeking a full-time Director of Registration & Licensee Services to join our team in Lower Mainland, Vancouver, BC. This is a hybrid position, however, the successful candidate must reside in the Greater Vancouver area.
The Director of Registration & Licensee Services is responsible for the overall administration of the Registration and Licensee Services operations and supervision of the related staff. This department maintains the Law Society’s licensing information and assists over 15,000 lawyers and applicants and 3,500 law firms to ensure regulatory compliance with the requirements for admission, licensing, and the right to practice law. They will also develop and implement processes, procedures, and systems to ensure the effective and efficient operation of the department while meeting the Law Society’s regulatory standards.
Your main responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Managing all program areas within Registration and Licensee Services to ensure departmental processes are in compliance with the relevant regulatory requirements in the Legal Profession Act and the Law Society Rules
- Leading the implementation of new policy initiatives by identifying initial requirements, developing new business processes, analyzing the impact of the change, creating implementation plans, monitoring progress, and making necessary adjustments to ensure a successful project launch
- Working with IT staff to identify possible solutions to current system-related issues and participating in the development and design of new or enhanced system functionality
- Leading a continuous improvement program for Registration and Licensee Services by establishing standard operating procedures that align with industry best practices, defining key performance indicators and performing quality reviews to ensure service targets are met
- Supervising and improving departmental effectiveness through performance monitoring, problem resolution, system audits and providing training on best practices to ensure an environment of continuous improvement
- Supervising the assignment, quality, and quantity of work done by the team, and adjusting them to meet operational needs
- Providing ongoing performance feedback to the registration and licensing staff and conducting annual and mid-year performance reviews
- Managing a team of 11 professionals, including 2 team leaders
- Hiring and training new team members
To qualify, you must have a Bachelor's degree in Business or Operations Management (or an equivalent degree), along with 10+ years experience in licensing, admissions, and/or professional regulation management.
To succeed in this role, you must have:
- Previous experience handling significant volumes of business activities and continuously improving business processes
- Demonstrated track record of understanding how clients interact with resources systems and designing them to be user-friendly
- Superior leadership and communication skills and experience
- Demonstrated track record of liaising with IT staff on technical projects
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and database systems
Our ideal candidate has a proven track record of working with peers and staff diplomatically and collaboratively, managing conflict situations, and handling multiple priorities and deadlines.
Please note: For the safety and well-being of our clients and employees, we require proof of COVID-19 vaccination before commencing employment. Accommodations will be made for those exempt from the COVID-19 vaccination, based on grounds protected by relevant human rights law.
About the Benefits
As a valued member of the team, you can look forward to a $150K+ annual salary evaluated on skills and experience, a healthy life-work balance and a respectful workplace, plus the following benefits:
- Opportunity to work in a hybrid work model
- Extended health benefits, including vision, prescription, and dental coverage
- Insurance coverage includes accidental death and dismemberment, life, and short and long-term disability
- 4 weeks' vacation to start
- The Law Society health care spending account
- RRSP matching
- Team and organization social events such as monthly socials, celebrating birthday and service milestones, and annual events including the annual winter party and recognition lunch
If you share our values and have the skills necessary to bring success to the role, then we invite you to apply today!
The information on this web page is collected in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, RSBC 1996, c. 165, s. 26(c). The information will be used to process your application for employment at the Law Society. If you have any questions about the collection, use or disclosure of this information, contact the Director, Human Resources, at the Law Society of British Columbia, 845 Cambie Street, Vancouver, BC, V6B 4Z9, Tel. (604) 669-2533.