- Finish each day knowing that you've truly made a difference in the lives of others
- Receive a highly competitive salary of $80,000 to $120,000 based on skills and experience
- Receive excellent benefits and the opportunity to work in a beautiful office filled with plants and natural light
About Humanity Financial Management
Humanity Financial Management is a CPA firm in West Vancouver that provides a full range of internal financial management services exclusively to non-profits and charities. We act as an outsourced finance department for organizations that are making a positive impact while also offering project consulting in order to help our clients rebuild their financial structures, processes, and procedures. Our mission is to help successful non-profits and charities build capacity for high-quality financial management and accountability so that they can have more of an impact and create a better world.
At Humanity Financial Management we know that our success is thanks to the efforts of the hardworking people that make up our team. We work to support the people that are helping our clients change the world for the better by promoting a healthy work-life balance in a beautiful office filled with plants and natural light. We've taken care to ensure all of our work stations are ergonomic in a technology-friendly environment to ensure the best space for our team to thrive within. We also possess a B Corp™ certification which supports all of the value we provide to our clients, community, environment, and employees. We're also frequently joined by two office dogs who work hard to keep us motivated while we support our clients.
For more information about the work that we do please visit our homepage by clicking here.
An Opportunity to Make a Difference
Due to an exciting period of growth, Humanity Financial Management currently has an opportunity for an experienced Senior Accountant to join our team in West Vancouver, BC on a full-time basis.
As our new Senior Accountant, you'll build relationships with charities and non-profit organizations as you work to support and develop their financial functions. This role will see you proactively motivating a team of junior bookkeepers and leading them in resolving financial roadblocks that our clients may be facing.
More specifically your responsibilities in this role will include:
- Onboarding new clients by analyzing the status of their finances and reviewing all aspects of their financial department.
- Building positive relationships with clients by working to establish streamlined processes and best practices within their finance department.
- Mobilizing junior accounting employees to address client issues and fielding any client-related questions that the accounting team may have.
- Reviewing monthly bookkeeping, working papers, and adjusting journal entries prepared by our junior accounting employees, for accuracy and completeness.
- Reviewing year-end working papers and compilation financial statements prepared by our junior accounting employees.
- Preparing more complex compilation financial statements, and working papers, as well as year-end charity tax returns and income tax returns for not-for-profit clients.
- Providing direction and support throughout the year to our client's bookkeepers on appropriate journal entries, transaction processing, and report generations.
- Monitoring client compliance deadlines including corporate tax instalments, GST returns, PST returns, payroll remittances, and year-end corporate taxes.
- Working with clients to develop budget and reporting frameworks, as well as operational, funder and program/project budgets.
- Generating budget-versus-actual reports and working alongside the client leadership team to analyze the source of the variances for their internal and external reporting.
- Working with Executive Directors, Board of Directors, and management to develop appropriate internal controls for their organization.
- Helping clients identify and document financial management roles and responsibilities in order to create financial management job descriptions.
- Providing advice and training workshops to not-for-profit Boards of Directors and management on the topics of effective corporate governance, the roles and responsibilities of being a good board member, and how to read and understand financial statements.
- Managing, building, and growing our existing client relationships as well as adding value to their organization by acting as the 'point-person' for any technical accounting, compliance, or operational issues they may be facing.
More About You
In order to qualify for this role, you will need a minimum of 5 years of top-to-bottom bookkeeping experience along with a Canadian CPA designation. Individuals with experience working both for one of the big 4 accounting firms and a smaller accounting firm will be held in high esteem. You'll also have previous public practice accounting experience combined with relevant industry experience and experience working with charities and non-profit organizations or volunteering on Boards of Directors. Significant experience using Quickbooks or SAGE 50 will be absolutely required in order to enable you to advise our clients that use those tools; our preference is Quickbooks. Experience with the accounting software Xyntax or Adagio isn't required but would certainly be an asset.
As our ideal candidate, you'll join us with a diverse range of accounting experience along with excellent communication and stakeholder management skills. Your strong interpersonal skills will combine with your natural aptitude for attention to detail and your passion for excellent customer service in order to ensure your success as you work with our clients. Utilizing your strong organizational skills as well as your ability to triage and prioritize you'll work diligently towards competing deadlines and varying project deliverables. Your passion for the work that you do, your creativity for developing solutions, and your determination to make a positive impact will all help foster a positive experience for our clients while also motivating the greater team.
Above all, you'll be an enthusiastic and strategically minded leader who is eager to use their skills to make a difference and provide value towards our clients, community, environment, and our greater team.
About the Benefits
In return for your hard work and dedication, you will receive a highly competitive salary of $80,000 to $120,000 based on skills and qualifications, along with the following excellent benefits.
- Full health and dental benefits.
- Long term disability.
- Paid CPA annual dues.
- Support for relevant professional development.
- 3 to 4 weeks of vacation on joining based on skills and qualifications.
- Huge opportunities for career progression.
- Frequent team building events such as our recent trip to Cirque du Soleil or our annual Christmas party.
- The chance to work in a beautiful, technology friendly office with two wonderful office dogs.
Upon joining Humanity Financial Management you'll be welcomed into a friendly environment where communication is valued at all levels. Though the work that we do may be challenging it's also highly rewarding to work with great people that are driving forward some wonderful causes.
Humanity Financial Management Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. The Company’s policy of equal employment opportunity is committed to equal consideration and treatment in all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, promotion, discipline, terminations and all other terms and conditions of employment, in accordance with the Human Rights Code (British Columbia) without regard to race, colour, gender identity, political belief, religion, ancestry, place of origin, age, sex, marital status, family status, sexual orientation, physical or medical disability.
Don't miss out on this amazing opportunity to work for an organization that is making a difference - apply today!