Manager, Maintenance and Engineering - Catalyst Port Alberni
Catalyst Port Alberni is seeking a Maintenance and Engineering Manager with a strategic vision to lead our talented maintenance team to new levels of success. You are a team player with a relentless drive for continuous improvement. You will be responsible for providing leadership to a team of planners, supervisors, and engineers who in-turn support crews of mixed trades. You will work closely with other members of the maintenance and operating teams to promote world class safety, to maximize availability and efficiencies of our processes and to optimize technological advancements.
As a member of the Senior Management Team:
- Assess and manage risk for the safety of mill personnel, the environment and for the business. Develop world class safety performance and environmental culture in your department.
- Participate in the development of the mill’s strategic plan and support its implementation.
- Work with employees to identify and implement Opportunities for Improvement (OFI’s) to drive continuous improvement and mill reliability.
- Champion talent development to ensure an engaged and competent workforce.
- Provide leadership and focus on continuous improvement initiatives and change projects.
- Contribute to the mill's capital resource allocation planning and implementation.
- Ensure standardized procedures, policies and effective processes are developed, adopted and complied with.
- Lead, coach and mentor direct reports to support high performance, employee development and succession planning, and support them in doing so with their reports.
- Work with other managers to maximize cross functional effectiveness.
- Develop and maintain an operational plan for the area with on-going cost management, budget control and performance management.
As a Maintenance and Engineering Manager:
- Ensure long-term viability of the mill’s operating assets.
- Maintain and improve an effective preventive maintenance system that maximizes equipment efficiency reliability and ensures efficient management of resources.
- Control and work to reduce maintenance costs against a set annual maintenance budget.
- Effectively manage inventories of spare parts and maintenance consumables.
- Ensure the delivery of optimal results against appropriate performance metrics, including failure rate of critical equipment, downtime on critical equipment, schedule compliance, work backlog, and completion of safety related activities.
- Develop, implement and review maintenance processes to ensure compliance to policies, standards, regulatory requirements and ensure mitigation of risks.
- Ensure successful execution of the maintenance work program, including planning, scheduling and execution and follow up of maintenance activities.
- Develop and nurture a safe, high performance, high discipline, accountable, focused, innovative and achievement-oriented work force.
The successful candidate will possess:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering would be considered an asset; registered or eligible to register as a professional engineer with APEGBC would be considered an asset
- Combination of education, related work experience, knowledge and training in the field of industrial facility maintenance that would be considered equivalent to the engineering requirement may be considered.
- Experience in both mechanical and electrical/instrumentation is an asset.
- Minimum of five years of experience in a unionized environment supervising workers with diverse industrial maintenance trade backgrounds.
- Considerable knowledge of the standard methods, principles, practices, tools and equipment of reliability-centred maintenance.
- Ability to monitor and evaluate programs and organizational performance in order to assess and improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Track record of leading improvements in Safety and Reliability performance, focusing on utilizing all the skills and experiences of his/her employees.
- Experience working with computer programs - Microsoft office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Proficient with maintenance management systems, such as Avantis is an asset.
Key Success Factors:
Leadership Skills – Ability to create and sustain a shared commitment as it relates to strategies and tactics associated with key initiatives at the mill. You are a strong team player, are self- motivated and set clear personal standards and expectations of others for quality of work. You recognize and embrace the fact that a large part of your role is helping your team members to grow professionally, preparing them for the next steps in their careers. While pushing for continuous improvement, you very comfortably and naturally recognize others for their successes and celebrate their achievements.
Interpersonal and Communication Skills – You have an open, honest and collaborative approach to working with others. You value and recognize employee involvement as key to sustainable success in safety and operations. You can communicate effectively at all levels, both formally and informally. You are an active listener and have excellent presentation and facilitation skills. You seek out and value others’ input and expertise and you bring a practical approach to all you do.
Personal Management Skills – You bring a high level of flexibility, perseverance and integrity. You are careful before saying ‘yes’ but once you make commitments, you live up to them. You are action-oriented yet thoughtful in your approach to prioritizing work. You are a disciplined at execution and stick to process.
Paper Excellence encourages all qualified candidates to apply; however, Canadian citizens and Canadian permanent residents will be given priority.