Process Safety Management Engineer
Paper Excellence has committed to implementing Process Safety Management (PSM) at all of its British Columbia pulp and paper locations. As part of the PSM deployment into each mill, new mill positions are being developed to drive this important work.
The Process Safety Management Engineer evaluates the risks associated with manufacturing processes and develops corrective action to mitigate any uncontrolled loss of containment. Reporting to the Manager of Engineering, Paper Excellence, Crofton Division has an opening for a PSM Engineer at its Pulp and Paper mill in Crofton, BC. In this role, you will craft, develop, implement and lead compliance for key regulatory programs related to PSM. The role will also require prioritization and implementing safety and efficiency projects. Both process changes and capital work will be included.
- Follow all health, safety and environmental procedures, policies and practices and consistently work in a safe manner with regard to self, co-workers, and manufacturing systems.
- Be a safety leader: actively engage and influence employees on the importance and benefits of maintain safe processes and working safely.
- Integrate environmental, health & safety management systems with engineering and program documentation and schedules to maintain safe operating conditions and regulatory compliance.
- Lead Management of Change (MOCs) program.
- Conduct safety reviews and Process Hazard Analysis including HAZID, HAZOP, LOPA.
- Develop process safety management program elements for Crofton Division.
- Develop, track and report on key performance indicators on the health of the site PSM program.
- Development and implement training programs related to PSM and other related programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical or Mechanical engineering or a related field required.
- 5+ years’ experience in mechanical/ technical field with experience working in facilities that employee a Process Safety Management (PSM) Standard (OSHA, CSA, etc)
- In depth understanding of API/ASME and other standards and codes as they relate to Pressure Protection.
- Ability to read and understand complex regulatory requirements.
- Ability to craft training material and effectively conduct employee training.
- Ability to develop and modify piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID’s).
- Strong organization skills.
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities and multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to interact with all levels of the organization, from shop floor to leadership.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Strong analytical, research and report writing skills.
- Recognized or able to obtain recognition as a professional Process Safety Engineer through ICHemE.
- Knowledge of Recognized and Generally Accepted Good Engineering Practices (RAGAGEPs).
- Knowledge of Reliability-Centered Maintenance Programs.
- Experience in project management.
- EHS program administration.
- Experience as a Management Systems lead auditor